Monday, May 16, 2011

Jersey City on Two Wheels: Liberty State Park


Hello, my avid readers (and those random strangers who may have stumbled upon this site while looking for tips on arranging your own 100 monkey/100 typewriter set-up in your basement). Welcome all!  Since I have recently discovered that my digital camera does not encumber me while pedaling about my fair city, I plan to share with you some of the sights and attractions that make Jersey City just about the greatest city around. Sure, it can be rough for a place to be in the shadow of NYC and to be ridiculed as part of every Jersey joke or slur, but I’ve come to embrace all aspects of the JC: its convenience and frustrating lack thereof, its beauty and rampant ugliness, its history and modern woes. But where else would I live? Brooklyn?  Ha … haha … bwahahahahahaha!

First stop on this virtual tour, the crown jewel of Jersey City’s waterfront redevelopment: Liberty State Park (Okay, okay … any golfer would say it’s actually the adjacent country club that deserves such a designation, but that place is private and extremely exclusive, ie. I cannot shoot a round or bike there. Hence, it will never be mentioned again, and boycotted forthwith.) These photos can only provide a small sense of the wide expanse of rolling parkland and harbor vistas adjacent to those iconic New Jersey landmarks: the Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. (See what I did there? You might think those islands are part of New York State or something like that. Well, that misconception has just been corrected. BOO-YAH! Tell your friends—you’ll seem smart. Or just a snarky know-it-all. And if that’s the case, then you’re better off without those friends anyway.) Thus, the best way to experience the park is to visit yourself—preferably on a bike, and never as part of a half-marathon. Now, I’m no J. Moskowitz or M. Crenshaw when it comes to capturing gorgeous snapshots of my travels, so please bear with the results of my photographic endeavors, and (if you can) enjoy them.


from the center of the park you can see Manhattan, and ...

 ... Ellis Island, and ...

... the Statue of Liberty.


the Goldman-Sachs building in JC, with the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings in the background




the nature center

my bike and the view


the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge connects Brooklyn (left) and Staten Island (right)

gulls, piers, and the port of Elizabeth, NJ

  
what lives in the water?

one of my favorites


and another
 a river monster?!

Brooklyn Bridge!




Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

lower Manhattan

Jersey City, new and old

inside the former terminal for the Central Railroad of New Jersey


exterior of the CRRNJ building

farewell Liberty State Park

1 comment:

  1. I like where this is headed as a potential series. I've been meaning to do a similar exploration of my neighborhood post for awhile. And your pictures are fantastic.

    Were you lurking in the background of someone's wedding photos in the train station??

    ReplyDelete