Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Writing about not writing

This daily writing thing has become dangerously undaily.

Book thought: what is it like to be under the East River? Something to ponder there.

Also to ponder, these Andrew Wyeth quotations:


"When I get an idea that means a lot to me, I just bury myself in it--a constant new experience I want to carry through to the end."

 "But I'd rather miss sometimes and hit strong other times, than be an in-between person."
Not that I necessarily want to be such an artist in his mode, but he makes some great points about artistic dedication, intensity, and risk. 

Also, Bill Watterson continues to be an inspiration. Yes, the comics remain absolutely brilliant and relevant, but this advice resonates with me in a different way.  

So, that's what I'm up to. Writing-wise, I would like to latch on to certain concrete details--whether about the setting or characters, something tangible--and see if that could be a starting point for scenes. And research-wise, I realize I need more. But also, that I should starting taking what I find interesting and use notecards to get them out of the books, out of my head, and make them accessible and applicable.



No comments:

Post a Comment