Sunday, October 6, 2013

On Writing: recent Inspiration & Advice

Sometimes I find things, sometimes they are given to me. But over the years my collection of writing advice seems to outweigh my actual writing output. I'll share the latest, for your own benefit and to keep them at hand for my use ... to bludgeon me of the head each time I come to my on blog.

Witty, but useful rules from McSweeney's: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-ultimate-guide-to-writing-better-than-you-normally-do


And some of my favorites from Chekhov:

"There's no need to chase after a crowd of characters.  Only two should be at the center of gravity: he and she."

"Best of all, avoid describing the emotional states of your protagonists;  one should try to make these apparent from their actions."

"The more emotionally charged a situation, the more emotional restraint one must use in writing, and then the result will be emotionally powerful.  There is no need for laying it on thick."

"My advice:  try to be original and as clever as possible in your play, but do not be afraid of appearing stupid.  Freethinking is essential, but to be a freethinker one must not be afraid to write nonsense."

No comments:

Post a Comment