Monday, October 4, 2010

Forgot my camera! And to post …

Okay, so here’s the thing.  I’ve never been good with the whole “write every day” thing.  Journals, blogs, plays, or novels … they’ve all suffered from my lack of commitment and discipline.  No matter what project I attempt, it always comes down to this fundamental approach: doing a little every day, both to get the project done and to improve in the quality of what I do. 

Now, last week I thought it had sunk in for good.  I would open up my topic to anything and everything, so long as I cared about it enough to actually write about it.  But when you work and come home tired and depressed, it’s difficult to overcome the inertia of a habitual laziness accumulated over the years of one’s life.  That’s why most people don’t get cool stuff done.  Or else, they're fortunate enough for their career and day-job to be one in the same. (Oh, and a lot of people have families and responsibilities and stuff, or are unemployed or incredibly poor and in other situations that do not allow them a ridiculous life of comfort and freedom like I've become so accustomed to.  Or else, they just don't give a shit about anything.)

However, since I have yet to get off my lazy ass and go do something, I have writing as my third job …where I don’t get paid, I don’t have regular hours, and I’m my own boss—a negligent one at that.  Basically, no incentive or responsibility to get anything done: the worst kind of scenario for a perpetually unmotivated person, not necessarily uninspired or untalented, but just without ambitions or self-discipline.  But, on the other hand, if I spin things positively, then this third job makes the hours at the others worth it.  When I come home to type, I have the freedom and time to actually think and produce what I want.  But until I align my mind in that positive direction, my outlet, this blog, suffers the same fate as my other projects.  And now, I’m going to attempt to rectify that situation.   

Today, another cold rainy one (the kind that makes you want to knock people’s hats off), I forgot my camera.  I know you all were just dying to see another picture of a tall grey building against a dreary grey sky, but I’m sorry.  Instead, here’s a shot from the flea market which appears every weekend across the street from my employer (the one with the kids and strollers, not the orchestra).  I call this an "Adam" shot, as if he'll ever read this.  (You can check out his photo blog, though: Ahead of the Wrecking Ball.)  

1 comment:

  1. I like this picture a lot. Have you ever thought about starting a flickr account? You seem to have a lot of good ones.

    ReplyDelete