Monday, October 11, 2010

A pigshead sandwich? Sure, why not?

On a glorious fall afternoon, I took advantage of my long lunch break to check out Food Square, and pick up my second meat sandwich from Resto: the pigshead.  Now, I understand that this may not sound appealing to everyone (particularly the vegan and vegetarian among us, and those practicing certain religious observances), but to a porcinephile like me, this sandwich drew me in more than the sloppy goat.

the pigshead
As with the goat, a large kaiser roll anchored the pile of meat stuffed inside.  Since the pork was ready-made, my sandwich took all of a second prepare--and off I went to sit in the sun.  Upon opening the bag (which was smart to request in spite of my recent attempt to reduce the number of paper and plastic bags I use), I discovered that an orange tangy grease had liberated itself from my sandwich.  It sat in puddles in the wrapper, and I scrambled to protect my lap.  Certainly, this unappealing detail may prevent the sandwich from appearing in front of restaurant diners anytime soon--but it’s likely that the staff at Resto would be sure to present a clean plate.  Regardless, greasy this sandwich was, and it proved not only edible but delicious (and healthy?  Hahaha ... no.)

Opening the sandwich for the photograph above left me with mixed feelings: while the meat-to-bread ratio favored the bread, disappointing considering the 50/50 divide of the goat, I did see pickled onions strewn about the roasted pork--a touch that had been lacking with the previous sandwich.  However, all disappointment faded upon biting into the sandwich--and soon enough the sandwich itself.  The shredded pork was spicy and soft with fat, and the surplus of bread actually worked to soak up the grease.  And of course this collision produced a magically sumptuous mess in the midst of the sandwich, the kind of food tectonics I champion.  The sandwich vanished from my hands quicker than it should have.  However, this left me with enough time to bask in the sun, before cooling off with a refreshing raspberry and mango gelato.

No comments:

Post a Comment